Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Eight Square "Quilt" Card!

Hello friend!

Here's another one of the cards we're going to make tonight at Expressions of Faith:


Have I shown you cards with this design before?   Over the years I have made quite a few with this pattern.

It uses 8 squares--four each of 2 patterns.  Our beautiful, double-sided Designer Series Papers are perfect for this, and it doesn't take much so this is a good card to make with scraps. (I'm using a 6 x 6 piece, and it was more than enough to make 2 cards.)

 You could cut the squares with a Paper Cutter, but I prefer using a punch so you know they are absolutely the same size.  This punch is 1 1/4 inches.  I also like to use two designs with high contrast.  If the papers are too similar, they just blend together and you'll lose the impact.












Layer four of the squares on a 3 inch piece of coordinating cardstock.  Be sure to leave a very small gap between the squares and only adhere them to the card stock in one corner.  And it must be consistently the SAME corner all around.  This leaves room to put the second layer of squares underneath, like this:






I rotate the cardstock as I glue the second layer of squares in place.  As you can see, when placed correctly  it appears the four squares create a larger square at an angle.







You can either layer this on another 3 inch square of card stock at an angle, or you can get the same effect by punching a square and cutting it into four pieces to attach to the back of the white corners.










My final card.  I thought it would be nice to trim the blue background, which would leave some of the white card showing on the right edge.  Would have worked better if I opened up the card and ONLY cut the Night of Navy... well, I still like it.  :)






And then I had another idea.  What if the squares were layered on thinner paper (like printer paper) and run through the Big Shot to emboss it? Would it look like fabric?  (since this is a quilt-y type of look?)

You can barely see it here, but I did cut a small square of copy paper to test the theory.


All four squares are attached--no background shows:










After the eight squares were together, I ran them through the Big Shot.  You can see the texture better at this angle.  It seems softer, definitely more "fabric-like."








The final card!   Ta-Da!













Wow, you stuck with me through this looooong post.  Well done, brave stamper!

Wendy

No comments:

Post a Comment